Georgetown Insurance Agency

Why Do I Need MA Renters Insurance?

by Melissa Gilbo, CISR on May 1, 2014

I hear this question all the time, "Why do I need renters insurance?"  A renters insurance policy provides coverage for your possessions in case of a fire, theft, or other peril. It's a common misconception that a landlord's insurance covers the renter's possessions. Your landlord's insurance does not. It covers damage or loss only to the structure of the building in which you live.

Renters insurance consists of the following common coverage's:

  • Personal property (Coverage C) covers your possessions such as furniture, clothing, and consumer electronics. It does not cover real estate property.

  • Loss of use (Coverage D) takes into account expenses you'll have if your home is uninhabitable because of a covered loss. It pays for temporary lodging and living expenses.

  • Personal liability (Coverage E) and medical payments to others (Coverage F) protects you no matter where you are. Both coverage's pay medical expenses, bodily injury and/or property damages that may be awarded against you if you are held legally responsible. Any necessary court costs are also covered.

If you are a renter a Renters Insurance policy is a MUSTFor as little as $10 a month a renter in MA can get a policy with between $20,000-$30,000 in coverage for their belongings and $500,000 in liability coverage. At Georgetown Insurance, our licensed and experienced representatives can help guide you as to how much coverage you need for renters insurance.  For more information or to obtain a quote give us a call at 978-352-8000 or click here to fill out a online quote request.

Photo courtesy of

View full site   © 2017 Georgetown Insurance